Sunday, December 29, 2013

Words hurt

With our words we build people up and we tear them down. We make joyful noises and curse the very air we breath. Our tongue is so small yet and can cause such problems. We hurt our friends, enemies, and even strangers with it. I remember my mom always used to say "If you don't got nothing nice to say, don't say nothing at all." I am sure others mom's said that too. Then we got to kindergarten and they said, "Think before you speak." Maybe we just ignore them all that much. James 3:3-12 "3 When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. 4 Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. 5 Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6 The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. 7 All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, 8 but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. 9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water." Look at verse 8, our tongue is a deadly poison, wow that is powerful.
The tongue is so small but it causes the greatest damage at times. I know I especially have a hard time letting go of awful things that have been said to me. People tell me to let it go but it is much easier said then done. Those things don't get forgotten, but I try to forgive. In my low points those cruel hurtful words come back to haunt me. I know my flaws, I don't need the reminder. I am not perfect but someday I will be.
I like to do artsy stuff and its how I releave certain emotions. I painted this one day when I was really low. It wasn't until I finnished that I saw I had written the word "Pain." See if you can find it. So often we try to hide the pain caused by others. Its just easier I guess, but its not good to do. I have a tendancy to if it gets to bad, I shut myself off. It just ends up hurting others as well as myself and it isn't healthy. Talk about it. We all have that friend that will listen to us no matter what. So talk to them or anyone. Just be careful and make sure they are trustworthy. Thank you for reading. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think or what you'd like to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment